Our Free Legal Advice Service
We offer free expert legal advice for anyone working behind the scenes in film, TV and cinema by calling us on 0800 054 0000.
Whether you’re a researcher or a writer, in casting or production, editing or sales, distribution or exhibition, we’re ready to help. One of our friendly team members will be able to guide you.
You can feel confident that all our services are free and confidential. Through the Support Line you can get advice on the following areas:
Personal legal advice
- Family – divorce, separation, children, finances, cohabitees wills and powers of attorney.
- Consumer – purchase and hiring of goods and services, credit, and holiday problems.
- Motoring – contesting fines and penalties, legal obligations as a vehicle owner, buying and selling cars, parking tickets, speeding, other offences and penalties.
- Property – buying, selling and renting property, rights and obligations as a neighbour/tenant.
- Employment – basic statutory rights as an employee, the disciplinary procedure, TUPE, redundancy and dismissal, illness, misconduct, and health and safety.
- Personal Injury – sustained at work or in a traffic accident, caused by errors in hospital treatment or sustained by a victim of a crime.
- Tax information – inheritance tax, issues relating to self-employment, VAT and NI.
- Immigration – information and guidance (due to regulatory restrictions).
Commercial Legal advice
- Company – Directors’ rules and responsibilities, shareholders’ issues, AGM’s and EGM’s.
- Commercial – contract disputes, intellectual property, commercial debts and supplier issues.
- Employment – obligations of the employer and procedures involved with making redundancies and dismissals, dealing with grievances and disciplinary issues, absence, maternity, terms and conditions.
- European law – EU regulations affect employers and employees in the UK.
- Tax information – Corporation tax and VAT.
Video Series – Legal Tuesdays
In addition to our Live Chat and Support Line, we have teamed up with Mayer Brown’s James Whitaker to launch a series of bitesize videos on key legal issues.
The videos will be made up of a series of eight and shall be released every Tuesday, from the 26th of April on our Youtube Channel
The full line-up of content is as follows:
- Copyright – overview
- Dealing with copyright – key issues
- Dealing with copyright – assignment and licensing
- The importance of contracts
- Chain of title – what is it and why is it important?
- Commonly encountered agreements – part 1
- Commonly encountered agreements – part 2
- The importance of insurance
Welcome to the Film and Television Charity. Calls are recorded for the purposes of quality and staff training. This is a confidential service, however, there are some exceptions to this and these are where there may be a risk to your own health and safety, that of others or if you have been involved in a crime. An advisor will be with you shortly, Thank You.
All of our advisors are busy at the moment. Would you like to book an appointment?
An error occurred, please refresh your browser to try again.